Monday 10 March 2014

Strong - SAC Challenge 2014 - Week # 3

Getting out of the box can be a difficult process. We as people are constantly finding ourselves in daily routines. How we wake up, what we wear, the way we brush our teeth, the path we take to work, where we stop for coffee and the words we greet people with...it seems like everything in our lives is a pattern...and breaking that is no easy feat.

This week's song did take a different path that the rest of my other songs in a long while. As most of my songs have extremely simple instrumentation...(acoustic and voice...or piano and voice), I thought it would be good for me to pick up the electric guitar and try my hand at rocking out a little more.

A friend of mine (Jith Paul) is putting together a movie called Clean Slate, and he asked me to write a track for it. I took the inspiration from his story and put this song together. The screenwriter (Paolo Della Malva) has a girl struggling to get up on stage. She is hiding out in the bathroom with her friends and band mates trying to coax her up to perform. Stage Fright...a real thing, as I am sure some of you can probably relate. Putting ourselves out there is not an easy thing, especially if we are singing something that we wrote ourselves. Eyes judge...just a fact of life...but I digress.

So...the song is called Strong.
And seeing how the event takes place in a bar, I went with more Rock than usual approach. I started writing the chorus first this time...normally I let me verses lead me to the chorus. I also built the song up from drums instead of music. Created the beat that I wanted...added in some bass...and then started creating the rest of it off that.

Lyrics normally come first or at the same time as my music...but this time, I waited and recorded the song and created lines over top of it. I did however have some melody in my head as it is near impossible for me to write without some kind of melody hook driving me forward.

Have a listen to the song here.



Tell yourself the fear it helps
The final bells are ringing clear as hell
Its time to get your shit together
its now or never you gotta face
Close your eyes And take a breath
count to ten and do your best to let it go...let it go
Pre:
Everytime you fall behind,
You look inside to find the reason that you wont...back...down..
Chorus:
Oh..you gotta get strong, you gotta get tough
You gotta get better than ever and love
What your gonna do, when you give what you got
to the world in front of you.
Love the life to live it long
To fight the fight...you gotta get strong
Verse 2.
Look into,the simple truth and try and find a way to get it
You gotta take a chance and let it, let it change your point of view
Hit the brakes and count the days, and just forget your last and past mistakes,
Let it go 
Chorus:
Oh..you gotta get strong, you gotta get tough
You gotta get better than ever and love
What your gonna do, when you give what you got
to the world in front of you.
Love the life to live it long
To fight the fight...you gotta get strong
Bridge:
Life is counting all the faces,
all the seconds we've all wasted
Life is counting all the space-

--------------------------------
Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog.

Feel free to comment.

All the best 
North Easton
-never stop writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment